Friday, May 21, 2010

Entry 65: The Summer of 2010

Graduation has gone by for a week now, and most people that I know have left, some more memorable than others. There's always some people you wish disappeared ASAP. As for my own graduation, it seems like a dark shadow looming over my head because of the fact that I might have to delay for another semester, but all's well though.

I've been freezing my balls off every morning every since summer started, which doesn't make sense. Getting stuck here for the whole 3.5 months makes even less sense. Sleeping at 2am every night, waking up at 10, reading, running, looking for a job. I can recall at least 6 people demanding to know why I'm staying here, most of them richtards. I would call them rich fucktards but they don't seem to be doing much of the f-word anyway.

So anyway, one of them gave me the "why would you even want to stay here" look. It's approximate enough to look like the "deer in headlights look", except not as passive. In the latter case the deer gets the bewilderment, and the richtards give bewilderment.

See if I had the choice and the money, I would have gone back to Singapore, simply because I haven't been back for more than 2 years. And these are the same tards who would complain about missing home after being back only 3 months ago. I don't have a problem with people missing home and going home, I just have a problem with people getting all in my face about why I should go home. Oh really, food is great back home? Oh really, I get to see my parents and friends? Oh really, weather is much better? I'm glad you told me, because these things never crossed my mind.

And then my second alternative would be to travel. I don't have money, and frankly if I had the money I would rather spend it on travelling elsewhere. It costs less, and I see more. Not to say I don't miss home, but all this being my parents' money it probably is a better investment. I would have especially gone to Brazil, home of capoeira, samba and the churrascaria, or Germany, where Julie is now, but I'm confined to drive to Walmart and back.

So being poor and all, I decided to make the best of my summer reading books that are currently nesting silverfish on my shelf, and movies that have been on my to-watch list for a long, long time.

Books to read:
1) Audio Culture - Ongoing project for the past 1.5 years. Drier than I initially thought.
2) Also sprach Zarathustra
3) Molecular Gastronomy
4) Empires of the Word

The second project is to participate in a marathon, probably in mid-November in Indianapolis. Thing is I truly hate running, running irks me, running is just a slight rung above richtards. But unlike some people who prefer to say, "Yeah, I could run a marathon, I just don't feel like it." Usually these are fat blokes who lock themselves in their room most of the time anyway, and drive 5 minutes away to eat.

The third project is to go skydiving. I'm actually shit-scared of heights, almost shat my pants when I was in OBS climbing the useless large ladder, and almost shat my pants when I was in OCS climbing the high wall for SEOC. My theory is that at really great heights the fear is less, but of course, even if my theory is wrong all I have to lose is a decent pair of underwear and jeans. Location and date undisclosed.

The fourth project is to volunteer at an animal shelter. Besides heights, I generally do not place trust in dogs as tall as my waist. I'm really not sure why I'm volunteering to take care of dogs, but it seems the more interesting alternative seeing that UNICEF and USAID didn't need my volunteer services. The other alternative is to volunteer at Wolf Park, where I get to take care of bison and foxes and wolves.

There's also mini-trips like Fermi Lab, canoeing, and an upcoming drift event as spectator. Fun? Maybe. More like time-filling.

1 comment:

Aloysius said...

Good stuff mate! you should really consider writing your own book.. How u doing btw?