Saturday, March 8, 2008

Entry 28: Gear-Grinding


Song Of The Moment: Sara Bareilles - Love Song
Why: Nice piano. Or something.

Have you ever had conversations with a certain kind of people, and it always most certainly degrades to an irritation? The kind where, ever so obviously, he's trying to somehow cover his probable lack of knowledge on the area? It always goes something like:

A (asking C, the expert): Hey so how do you do this? Why is it like that?
C: Oh this is not going to be tested, higher level stuff. But yah, basically it's XXX..
B: Yah correct.
C: .. and then XXX so YYY..
B: Yah true, YYY. But this concept is still ok, very easy to understand. Next time will be much tougher and more fierce. (And more often than not, only slightly paraphrasing C's answer.)
C: .. and then ZZZ..
B: Correct, ZZZ.
A (to B): Wait aren't you in the same course as me?

or

B: Eh how's life dude?
A: Quite tiring lah, work and study and exams and all.
B: Oh ok, trust me man I'm having it worse.
A: What the fuck how would you know before I tell you. And anyway who's comparing? Oh ok, I'm trying to finish my mechanics question here, I've spent 4 hours on this question already. Damn sian.
B: Oh mechanics easy lah. I'm studying stuff now that took me 3 days to read through.
A: Oh ok good for you.

or it's trivial things like

A: Wah quite tired didn't sleep much last night. I slept at 5am this morning trying to repair my comp.
B: Orh I slept like only 1 hour, and I woke up damn early this morning.
A: Oh ok but I had 0730 class this morning.
B: Yah I'm not much better, had 0830 and I slept at like 0715, and then I woke up halfway to do my homework, then I couldn't concentrate. So I think I slept for like, 30 minutes only.

AND THIS FUCKING CONVERSATION ALWAYS OCCURS IN JC AND SECONDARY SCHOOL. Always comparing how little they slept, or how slack they were. Motherfuckers. Don't see the point in doing that at all, although sometimes I'm guilty of it I'm not a chronic offender.

So I used the talkback techniques I learnt in HCanoe.

Scenario 1: Wah I think you're damn smart. How come you not scholar?

Scenario 2: Wah must be damn xiong for you. How come you not scholar?

Scenario 3: Wah you must be damn tired now. How come you not scholar?

Especially Scenario 3, usually they just want to tell people how hardworking they were, and how they can go on with so little sleep. And most of the time they try to round off their sleeping times to the nearest hour. Cheebyes.

Slice of life. Everyone has had these people in their friends list at some point in time. I know I'm guilty of it sometimes but at least I know where to draw the limit. BAAHH!

No comments: