Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Entry 42: Hypocritic Oaf

I'm currently reading:



The "Of The Moment" phase is over because there's always nothing going on at the mo', or because I have too much going that I can't quite choose a favourite "Of The" to do for the entry. So now, I'll make like one of those bimbo girls' blogs and put what I am reading/listening to now. Or anything else with an image. Could be Sienna Miller, or a Pioneer SEP-CI, or a diecast 1:8 Mazda RX-7 model, or a pair of Puma/EVISU jeans.

Mostly materialistic desires, I suppose. I am not so arrogant as to think otherwise.

Sometimes when the mood strikes me, I feel irksome when people their field is oh-so-important to the world. I'll take doctors for instance, and not because I am jealous of doctors or think that they are not important to the world. Of course they are. They are the ones who treated my bronchitis and pulled out my wisdom tooth. But I am just citing the example of doctors because I just needed a convenient example for my discourse on oneupmanship.

But think about it, are the the only ones who are important to this world? Would doctors design planes that don't crash into control towers? Would doctors sit around writing Ulysses? Would doctors sweep the roads and maintain hygiene standards in their own hospitals?

And of course, before I get flamed by doctors everywhere, let me get to the gist of my point. There are people who are ever so arrogant, thinking they want to change the world like that. And then they go around saying, "Oh no, it's beneath me to change the world in such a little way. I want to make a huge impact."

At this point I'd be tempted to ask, "So what have you done so far?" And then it'll be like, Well I do have a few CIP hours, but I am currently working on like, a major scale cancer-ridding repulsor beam which reflects cancer cells to, like, the Sun or something.

I say, fuck all. Did Shakespeare say, Man, I am so gonna write plays that people will remember me for eternity. No he didn't (or before I am accused of generalisation, maybe he did, except he probably used words like thou and thee and thy).

Did Beethoven say, Man I am so deaf, but I am still gonna make music that will rock the world? Did Pheidippides run to Athens saying, Man, in future they are gonna get their ass whooped running so far? Again, the probably didn't. The point being, there are so many people that I know who are so caught up in their little bubble of arrogance, believing that only they can change the world and noone else.

So let us kick back, relax and change the world little by little. Lay down your pride and arrogance and overwhelming sense of self-achievement. After all, by my own Law of Large Numbers (nothing pertaining to statistics), it is the little people that make the biggest difference.

No comments: