Talking to Biquan last night and Pascal this afternoon made me realise that there’s something that I hate more than emos or My Chemical Romance, and that’s pretentious people. And most recently, who spend a short time overseas, on vacation or studies, and think they are experts on their language and culture. The reason why some people go to Disneyland for 2 weeks and come back with a American accent. The reason why some people go to France and come back adding et toi to every damn sentence. The reason why.. I’m going on a rant here.
I guess as I broaden out my hatredscope, to gain a full panoramic view of the pretentiousness that some people put up, it also includes people who: 1) take a year in a subject and think they are experts, and 2) people who read one book and think they know fuck-all. Ever had people take Psychology 101, and then try to lecture you on Sigmund Freud? Or known someone who barely took a year in linguistics and try to tell you how certain German words should or should not be pronounced? Or how about having an acquaintance who claims that Communism failed because it should? The way they spill out case study examples to prove their point? I’m sure you have.
I guess interacting with Pascal and Justaman has humbled me. Pascal is probably a genius, and every time I talk to him I learn something more. No Tuesdays With Morrie (which frankly doesn’t appeal to me that much)-esque lessons to learn, just things that slip past because of our own myopia.
And as usual, rant over. Fatigue gets the best of us sometimes, and turns us into horrible beasts who bitch and moan about everything.
-
Aachen has been pretty good so far. Seminars and boring workshops aside, I am slowly getting used to the roads. The way the cobbled streets ambush you with hidden potholes and loosened tiles, the way the Kaiserdom stands proudly with Charlemagne’s mansion, Vodafone, Dolce & Gabbana and Sparkasses taking the place of where peasants used to live. The way every morning a big yellow DHL truck parks beside the fountain and statue of Charlemagne.
If he were alive, he’d probably throw his holy grenade.
Just got off the phone with Justaman, who seems to be relacking one corner at home before moving to Montreal. Had an in-depth discussion about the Twilight saga, and how I think her eye-candy has a kiam pah face. Nothing like good old fashioned movie conflicts to bring spice to the conversation.
Haven’t bitten my nails since after finals. I have to keep them long enough for next semester, so that I’ll have more to chew for my 18 credits. Can’t quite remember what I planned for next semester, not quite bothered about studies as much as I should. The European pace of life is slowly swallowing me, maybe.
Oh, yeah, forgot to mention, people who keep bragging about one-upping others on credit hours are also the bane of my existence.

No comments:
Post a Comment