A few people I've met seem to be asking me this very same question: so what's up with Singapore? And in this sense, I don't suppose they mean "so what the fuck is up with Singapore?" I'm assuming (a very dangerous word indeed) that they mean "so what is it about Singapore that you can enlighten me about because I've never been there before", and most of the time they do, fortunately.
So it set me thinking: what is it about Singapore that I find the most intriguing, and possibly the most interesting fact? What exactly IS up with Singapore?
1) Mambo nights. If it was one thing that they'd find crazy, it'd be Mambo nights. See, retro disco music is a fun night out for us to do stupid Para Para moves, but to Americans it reminds them of Flower Power, of psychedelic colours and drugs, of Vietnam War and The Graduate, of big Afro hairdos and open sexuality, and maybe even Cher (definitely not a good memory). Not exactly bad, but not exactly that good either. Anyhow, I lent Alex my Mambo Jambo CD, and he said it was crazy. Crazy in a good sense, and he exclaimed that simply had to check the Mambo Jambo phenomenon out.
2) Conscript army. When some of them ask me why I'm still a freshman at 21, they'd always go into shock and require resuscitation when I tell them why. See, Singapore is one of the few countries where we send two years of our lives in green. The kids here, they've been studying (or so I think) for the past.. decade or so. Elementary school, then high school, now college. So to know that someone who lives 10,000 miles away has served the military comes as a huge surprise to them.
3) Singlish. If it is one thing I can never put down, it would be Singlish. Singlish, as I have discovered after spending more than a week here, makes things more convenient and adds flavour to conversation. At times I am extremely tempted to say "Ok lor" when someone asks to borrow my Calculus book, instead of saying "Yeah I suppose so". Because the former somehow conveys a sense of buay song-ness i.e. unwillingness automatically, whereas you'd have to enunciate the latter properly to emphasise the fact that you'd still do it, though not exactly happy about it. And where else can you call your friend's dad "uncle" regardless of age or race?
Singlish is a beautiful language, no doubt. The British have Scouse (mostly Irish influence) and Cockney (think Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels) and the Americans have the Southern American English (where words like y'all or a-callin' came from, something like how cowboys talk). So I don't see why we have to follow "proper English" when there supposedly is no "proper" language in the first place. Singlish Cool!
4) Food. For those uninitiated, the likes of char kway teow or chicken rice or carrot cake is sort of a trademark for Singapore. I could spend hours explaining what each dish was, how it's prepared and how it tastes, but it could never beat the real thing. This came to my mind when I was eating instant laksa on a cold, windy, rainy Sunday afternoon.
5) Singapore river. It's not a river - it's a huge canal! Which other river in the world has concrete banks, no "proper" tributaries or distributaries (if you don't consider the other smaller canals), and spans as far as most streams in other places. Even the Panama Canal is 77km long, about 7 times the length of Singapore River. Ah but wait, the Panama Canal has concrete bank I hear you say. Well, it's a CANAL, you'll hear me say. Don't try to outsmart me. But yes, we are still fucking proud of the Singapore River.
So my question is this: what else do you think would make for a good interest topic about Singapore? Leave me a comment. NO TAGS.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
hey hun..my tots..
- Dragonboating as the 'jock' sport in Singapore..them Americans have football..we got dragonboat..
- Shopping and the Great Singapore Sale..like hello..Orchard Road is an icon..come on..what other countries only see in times of crisis..Singapore sees at least once a year..aunties running round shops for the best deals..haa..
- Bit of shameless plugging here..we have St James Powerstation..the largest nightlife entertainment outlet in..erm..Singapore..then there is Clarke Quay..with big names like MOS, Arena and the Cannery..and other smaller names too..
- We have Sentosa..and beach volleyball..i think that was the ousted jock sport of Singapore..but avid fans of the sport still flock there every weekend nonetheless to show off their skill and challenge their friends..because as you know..in Singapore..everyone is everyone else's friend..we're that small you know..
- Lets get political as well why dont we..haa..the PAP has been in power for over 42yrs!! how about tt!! haa..im not making sense now..
ok..for me to think this much at 8.31am on a wednesday is nothing short of a miracle..i'll be back with more tots..if i could so muster up enuff brain juice later in the day.. =)
Haha yeah i thought of the PAP too but i didn't want to sound like Singapore was fa *cough* scist. No I'm joking. I entirely made the Fascist thing up.
Singapore is democratic and free. Would be an irony though, if I said that and they censored me.
oooh oooh..i tot of one more..
- NewUrbanMale as the most recognizable local brand of fashion and sports wear..hell..walk down the street and ur bound to see NUM apparel..growth of the brand is damn obviously connected to the gay population and the gym and sports culture in Singapore!! U can tell them friends of urs that some Americans in America are wearing the label too..oooh..and Havaianas are a hot commodity here in Sg too..
hee..
I was in Europe years back and their rice sucks. It was more like flower pollen other than rice.
Anyway, the good thing about Singapore is that i get hairdresser, clinic, food and groceries store near my house. I can walk 2 hours in Paris without seeing a single one of these. Not to mention walking 30 minutes to find a toilet which cost me ONE EURO to enter!! Singlish Cool
Post a Comment