Saturday, August 25, 2007

Entry 5: When in Rome, Do as Spartans Do

I just came back from a trip to Beering Hall, the Liberal Arts Centre in Purdue for some PSSA (Purdue Singaporean Students Association). I know what some of you out there are mumbling right now: really want to chup more Singaporeans overseas lah. You see, a Singaporean student feels lonely in a land of standardly enunciated English and non-standard other things. Speaking of which, Americans standardise the wrong things. They have equally-sized, same-coloured notes of every denomination, and non-standard metric units. But as they always say, when in Rome, do as Spartans do: cluster together and yell all the time. Hence my decision to hang out with Singaporeans, if it isn't too far-fetched for you.

This week has been fruitful, socially, intellectually and not otherwise. I've gotten to know a few people better, like Matthew Soto, a quiet guy from somewhere; and Nick Bacon, who's from somewhere in Illinois. Cool acquaintances, at least I get to hone my hi-saying skills on them.

Then at the PSSA meeting I got to know Huimin, the vice president who's from Hwachong too. The typical S7 type that is. Stephanie, the petite Japanese-looking social secretary who actually remembers that she called me on my home number and my mum picked up. Weird that people remember details like that, because I remembered clearly I threw away the envelope with her number.

And of course there was Praveen and Yuiern, the president and treasurer respectively, whom I met over at the alumni/freshman dinner back in Singapura. Great help, these people have been.

The people I met there though, we chatted for the next five hours while the rain was pouring outside Beering Hall. People like Daryl, an RJC student; Saurav, an ex-Delta Wing Cadet; Bharat, an Indian Singaporean PR who is totally Singaporean; Jignesh (however you spell his name), another Indian Singaporean PR; and Daniel, PSSA secretary (I think) who deferred his NS, the last batch to do so.

And in true Singaporean fashion we talked about politics, geography, the population and size of countries as compared to Singapore, the big ferris wheel and whether it would be painted a gross red (and how to). We talked about SAF and army in general and weapon systems (how very Singaporean). We talked about NDP and the amount of fireworks, and the water fountain in Suntec City. And Vivocity, and Ngee Ann City, the many "cities" in Singapore. We talked about Bukit Merah and the legend of Redhill, and about swordfish and the merlion.

We talked about the education system in USA and Singapore. We talked about rain and the weather, and the 19-inch.. snow.. that they had last year. We talked about PAP and the government, and NKF and Durai, and mrbrown. We talked about turkwa (or however you spell it) and the influence of SPH, and the NEL and the Circle line and the MRT in general compared to other railway systems.

We talked about secondary school days and third language classes, and about how fucked up some things in America are. We talked for five hours at least, of which most part of the conversation was done on foot.

Indeed, it was heart-warming. It was like a gathering of old friends, except we jst met, and you know you can seek solace in the company of these people when you don't have to pronounce every word proper, or to speak slower, or to have a slang when you talk. When you can use acronyms like IPPT, PAP, SAF, MRT and stuff without garnering funny questions, or scold cheebye as and when you like (of course not literally as and when, but you get the idea), and you can use lah and meh and leh and the haarrh that we pepper our speech with.

I met a New York Taiwanese girl and her boyfriend. She was telling me that the only way she knows how to speak Singlish is to add lah behind every sentence. And I told her, yeah probably, but that's not all.

Now I truly know. That's not all.

No comments: