Friday, August 31, 2007

Entry 7: Trivial Pursuit

Today was the first time I stared someone down since my arrival here. And I stared him down because he asked me if I was going home for the long weekend. No I'm kidding. I didn't stare anyone down, but that's I'd do if anyone asked.

Anyhow, I just came back from the Perspectives trip around Lafayette. In short, it really put things into perspective, because West Lafayette really is a boring place. All I saw along the bus trip was Walmarts and more huge megamarts like Meijer's and Target and such, and the occasional museum, one of which is called Imagination Station. So i suppose it's all empty inside.

Trivial facts that might surprise you:
1) They have no instant coffee here. Nope, no 3-in-1's, so I suspect it's a Singaporean thing to cope with the pace of life. It's the elixir of life when you have 0730 classes, but apparently they prefer students to die of fatigue during English classes. The closest thing to instant coffee is grounded coffee beans in a pack, which I have stashed on my shelf but tastes horrid because a) I don't have a kettle, and b) I have no filter. No, putting a dollop of powder with water in a microwave doesn't work.

2) The standard of English here isn't as high as you might think. Even with my laopok English, my teacher said my command of English is good. Don't think he has heard me speak Singlish yet.

3) The weather here sucks. When I was at the Purdue "Freshman" Dinner in Singapore, this girl called Yanling told me the weather sucks, and then smiled at me and crinkled her nose. I suppose that was a female's version of saying "nabeh cheebye really sucks a lot", albeit in a less vulgar way, because the weather here really sucks. It was freezing this morning, then it became so hot even I, a tropical reptile, was perspiring. Nabeh. And it's just the end of summer, not even winter yet.

4) Some Americans actually can pronounce my name. Yes, just a select few whom I might say are geniuses. This girl said my name sounds like "Jerry", except more French-ised. Sexxaayy.

Aurora trip tomorrow! Hope my camera can be put to good use.

2 comments:

WL Kid said...

1) yeah.. i forgot to tell you about the coffee thing. Go down to a chinese supermarket and get it. Its usually in the ghetto area where all the shady vietnamese gangs reside.

2)There's also a place somewhere between california and nevada called Singapore.

3)My lecturer thought I couldn't speak English, and gave me really good grades for my essays. And they can't spell "their" or "there" or "to" or "too" or "his" or "he's" they get confused alot

Cruiser said...

yeah i totally agree to point (3). i think i should do that too haha. but somehow he's found out my secret.

1) i went down to chicago, and it was totally shady at night in the chinatown. you don't know when some triad dudes will just pop out.

2) cool shit. next time we should tell them it's a place in the states.